Not the Flag Day where we celebrate Old Glory (although it is the first day I
won't be saluting the stars and stripes now that the school year has ended), but State's own special holiday. Mark will be in a gym with all of his A-100 colleagues, facing a selection of world flags representing each available post. I may have the sequence wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they'll call up each FSO in alphabetical order, then hold up the flag so that everyone else can yell out
"Ghana!" or
"Mexico!" or
"Vietnam!" or
"Serbia!" or wherever in the world the Department has seen fit to send us for the next two years. :) That little flag informs our packout, how long we're living in D.C., what language we learn, Mark's actual job, and on and on. It's a lot of pressure for a 5X7 polyester rectangle.
Under normal circumstances, I would be so excited that I wouldn't be able to sleep. But these aren't normal circumstances; this is a week when the perfect storm of grading, report cards, and Sam's insomnia equals my being able to fall asleep standing up, so I'm good.
You know I'll be posting tomorrow...
1 comment:
you have officially been added to our bookmark toolbar....counting the hours to the phone call. xoxosharixoxo
Post a Comment